It’s that time of year again! The trees are blooming, allergies are irritating, and it’s time once again for me to take over putting this show together!
Oh, and it’s also time for the Eisners. Kind of a big deal too, I suppose.
This year’s nominees represent one of the strongest bunch since the category for Best Digital Comic was formed in 2005 (thanks, WikiPedia!). But before we break down that list, there’s another list to talk about: The Digital Strips News Minute!
- (3:00) PETA comics are hilariously wrong (and scary)
- (4:00) The Book of Biff celebrated it’s 5th birthday
- (4:55) Comics that Steve is getting back into
- (5:10) Comics that Jason is dropping
- (6:02) Corporate Skull Book One is finished (NOTE: It was mentioned that this item means that Book One is ready for print when that is clearly not the case. Book One was ready for print before it began its life as a webcomic.)
- (6:33) Greg Rucka/Rick Burchett hope to fund new project with webcomic
- (8:35) SJG’s Munchkin running webcomic contest
Before we roll into the matter that brought us all here today, why not have a little fun with Higgins and their track, “There He Is”. As always, make sure to check out the entire track and possibly even a whole album, if you feel so inclined.
Without laying out our favorites, I’ll say now that there is very little criticism to be had in the second segment. These five comics represent some of the best talent that the world of digitally-presented comics has to offer.
- (16:47) The Abominable Charles Christopher
- (17:48) The Bean
- (18:45) Lackadaisy
- (20:25) Zahra’s Paradise
- (21:55) Max Overacts
In our discussion, we wouldn’t want to leave out two other comics who are nominated in other categories:
- (29:37) Hereville (Best Publication for Teens, Hereville: How Mirka Got Her Sword)
- (29:50) Sheldon (Best Humor Publication, Literature: Unsuccessfully Competing Against TV Since 1953)
Of course, we always mention numerous other comics in our journey to making a point, so here are those we utilized to that end.
- (8:47) Dork Tower
- (19:30) The Meek
- (19:35) Sfeer Theory
- (26:45) Celadore
- (26:50) Girls With Slingshots
Finally, it’s easy to forget that Digital Strips was the first webcomics podcast because we don’t tell you nearly enough. As a result, we have an extensive library of podcasts to draw from in our research (I finally stopped laughing enough that I could write that). So here are some of the shows that link with this one in one way or the other. Listen in and enjoy the rich history that webcomics have enjoyed so far!
- Episode 3: Review – Girls With Slingshots
- Episode 115: Review – Sheldon
- Episode 129: Review – Lackadaisy
- Episode 136: Eisner Nominees 2008
- Episode 147: Review – Hereville
- Episode 196: Horizons Watch – Lucy Phurr’s Imps and Zahra’s Paradise
- Episode 203: Review – The Bean
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Thanks for coming back to my comic!!
No problem dude, keep up the good work.